Tuesday, June 17, 2014

My 34th NIFTY Club Trip - Gates AuSable Lodge



My 34th NIFTY club trip to Gates Lodge on the Au Sable
June 10, 2014
By Harry Blessing

When we arrived, new owner Josh Greenburg said, "you may very well make the catch of a lifetime". We thought this was just shop talk.



This 20 inch AuSable Trophy Brown came over to say hello just before we stopped at McMaster's Bridge for an evening sandwich. Guide Josh Nethers told me to pull the Dust Bunny fly under when it started to drag and let it swing. The floatant kept popping it up to the surface where it hit.

This was my third day of float trips. I was in the front seat of a wide, comfortable DRIFT Boat, rowed by a fine guide. The first two days were also with fine guides but they each used a pole to control their beautiful, 22 foot long, narrow, shallow draft AuSable Riverboats.

Another big fish wanted to say hello later at the Junction with the North Branch but it jumped and landed on and broke the 5X tippet before we could be formerly introduced.

At twilight, we started seeing many brown drakes high above the river but none on the water and no trout rising.

The mosquitos were getting terrible when I remembered my mosquito head net. I put it on and it worked like magic. My buzz off shirt, pants, and buff head/neck scarf were also working. I sprayed the back of my gloves but they were still getting my fingers.

45 minutes from the takeout we came to a long swampy stretch where 3 big fish were rising. Now there were Sulphurs and Brown Drakes everywhere in the air and on the water.

We anchored across from the first fish. Josh said "take that head net off and get your A-game on". Not wishing to die the death of a thousand stings, I obstinately, kept my head net on.

Josh cut my tippet back to 4X and put on a brown drake pattern. It was only about a 25 foot cast but with my head net on, it was too dark to see where the fly landed. I started by casting short, and making a big upstream mend to counter the drag. After lengthening a foot at a time the fish took on the fifth cast and I set the hook.

The first run was about 20 feet and I let loose line run as tightly as I dared through my fingers. I pumped the big brown close to the boat several times but it bulldogged down to the bottom each time. Finally it tired enough for me to keep it up off the bottom and after several short runs Josh netted the deep bellied 21 inch brown.

Josh took a quick photo of it in the net because he wanted me to try for the second fish which was still rising about 40 feet across and upstream.

After half a dozen casts, each a foot of so longer, with big upstream mends the fish took. I felt its’ weight but the hook pulled free after a few seconds. 

We waited several minutes but the bugs had stopped, the rises had stopped and it was over, except for the long row out in pitch darkness.  

What a day it had been. My two best AuSable trophys, on the last night of my 34th year of NIFTY club trips.

No comments: